Sample Shopping List for Strict Dieting
– Primarily cooked or uncooked Chicken/turkey. If packaged %100 breast -Protein
– Fillet of Salmon/Mackerel or other Oily fish -Protein + Healthy Fats
– Lean cuts of Beef or Pork Steak. No mince (unless steak mince) -Protein
Fruit + Veg (all primarily for Fibre)
– Any green vegetables, lettuce, brocolli* (mangetouts a good snack)
– Onions, tomatoes, red/yellow peppers
– Apples, Mandarins, Bananas (after training)
Dairy etc. (Contains Protein, but limit due to carb levels, dairy can also cause bloating!)
– Low Fat Milk (organic if possible) – No Soy!!! Very bad for you.
– Low Fat Cottage Cheese
– 0% Fat, diet Greek Yoghurt (good for digestion)
– Laughing Cow Low Fat Cheese Spread
– Lots of Eggs – Protein (some yolks for Omega-3/6)
– Mixed Nuts (Almonds, Brazil nuts, Pistachios are beneficial – Protein + Healthy Fats/ Fibre
– Mixed Berries (or whole Blueberries/Raspberries) – Antioxidants/ Fibre
– Linwoods Milled Organic Flaxseed and Goji Berries (health food section) – Healthy Fats/ Fibre
– Nairns Oat Biscuits,look for “Low GI” on box (or other oat biscuits. not oat cakes!) – Low GI Carbs
– Flahavans Organic Porridge Oats – Low GI Carbs
– Ryvita Seeded – Low GI Carbs / Fibre
Why is Soy so bad ?. I have been subsituting soya milk for regular skim milk for my protein shakes.
Its recently come up that Soy Milk has been linked to a rise in estrogen, which is unhealthy for men and women alike. Soy products contain nutrients called Isoflavones, which are phytoestrogens (a plant estrogen). Soy in small amounts is ok, but too much can cause hormone imbalance, which is unsafe for men and women. So best to keep in moderation. The best thing for a protein shake is skimmed milk or water (better yet, third milk, third soy, third water). To keep levels down. I know I told alot of people to take soy instead of milk, but it has only come to fruition about controlling its intake.
Of course, what a great site and informative posts, I will add backlink – bookmark this site? Regards, Reader.